In a case that could have serious implications for the companies behind generic versions of pharmaceuticals, the Supreme Court is set to decide whether consumers who are injured by such drugs have the right to take the drug makers to court and hold them liable for damages.
According to an article in the Los Angeles Times, generic drugs now account for nearly 80% percent of prescriptions filled by Americans – but for those who suffer serious injuries or side effects from such medication, the courts may block their ability to sue based on the fact that the FDA had already deemed the drug safe for sale. In a court decision two years ago, it was determined that generic drug makers need only include the same warning labels as the original medication; yet the case of Mutual Pharmaceutical Co. Inc. vs. Bartlett will determine whether a consumer can sue a company for selling an unreasonably dangerous drug, regardless of warning labels.
Supreme Court justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagen suggested that FDA approval means only that a drug can be sold, not that a jury should be unable to deem it dangerous. The court is expected to reach a decision on the case by June.
Have you been injured by a dangerous drug? Contact Hodes Milman today to learn more about product liability and your legal options.
Why Contact a Defective Product Liability Lawyer?
- One of the best reasons is that your consultation is free.
- You can ask specific questions and receive more accurate answers.
- Should your case be accepted, nearly all of our cases are on a contingency-fee which means you have zero out of pocket costs while our team handles the paperwork, phone calls, medical records and other costs and time-consuming elements to build your case.
- You only pay the contingency fee if we win your case! If your case is not successful, you do not owe us for any of the investigative or litigation expenses incurred, which can be substantial. These are our expenses.
- Most importantly, pursuing a product liability claim could help your family with medical costs, lost wages or other practical means of healing for you. While compensation won’t undo the injustice and suffering you’ve endured, a monetary settlement can help ease the financial burden.
You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s carelessness. At Hodes Milman, we offer more than our sincerest apologies – we offer you our assistance. There is someone who will fight for your best, and help you move on with your life – that is us!