More than 1,500 users of the medication Fosamax are suing the drug’s manufacturer, Merck, claiming that the drug, which is prescribed to treat bone weakening in post-menopausal women, in fact causes bone-density loss if taken for an extended period.
Mounting evidence links long-term use of Fosamax to atraumatic femur fractures—breakages of the thighbone that occur without exposure to trauma (e.g., femur fractures that happen while a person is just walking). Fosamax has also been connected to osteonecrosis, a.k.a. jaw death, a condition in which the tissue of the jawbone deteriorates, causing the gums to fall away and expose bone that appears moth-eaten.
Concern over Fosamax has been growing ever since the Food and Drug Administration approved the drug in 1995. In 2004, the agency ordered Merck to add a warning to Fosamax’s label about the risk of osteonecrosis, and last year, it told the company and makers of other “bisphosphenates,” including Actonel, Boniva and Atelvia, to warn of atraumatic femur fractures as well. An FDA staff report concluded in September that a link between bisphosphenates and conditions like atraumatic femur fractures cannot be ruled out; agency advisory panels recommended the same month that the warning language on the drugs’ labels be made stronger.
All the while, the number of lawsuits against Merck and other bisphosphenate manufacturers has been climbing. People harmed by these drugs are fighting back. In one case, a jury awarded a Fosamax victim $8 million.
If you developed an atraumatic femur fracture (or other unusual bone breakage), osteonecrosis or esophageal cancer after using Fosamax or another bisphosphenate like Actonel, Boniva or Atelvia, contact Hodes Milman Ikuta for a free case evaluation. We’re aggressive personal injury and medical malpractice lawyers based in Orange County, serving all of California. We have the experience to take on the medical industry and have achieved multi-million dollar verdicts for our clients.
Why Contact a Defective Product Liability Lawyer?
- One of the best reasons is that your consultation is free.
- You can ask specific questions and receive more accurate answers.
- Should your case be accepted, nearly all of our cases are on a contingency-fee which means you have zero out of pocket costs while our team handles the paperwork, phone calls, medical records and other costs and time-consuming elements to build your case.
- You only pay the contingency fee if we win your case! If your case is not successful, you do not owe us for any of the investigative or litigation expenses incurred, which can be substantial. These are our expenses.
- Most importantly, pursuing a product liability claim could help your family with medical costs, lost wages or other practical means of healing for you. While compensation won’t undo the injustice and suffering you’ve endured, a monetary settlement can help ease the financial burden.
You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s carelessness. At Hodes Milman Ikuta, we offer more than our sincerest apologies – we offer you our assistance. There is someone who will fight for your best, and help you move on with your life – that is us!