Benjamin T. Ikuta
Benjamin T. Ikuta
Benjamin T. Ikuta is a trial attorney who has been licensed in California since 2008. He joined Hodes Milman Ikuta, LLP in November of 2016. Ben was made a named partner in 2021. Ben focuses on cases of medical malpractice, nursing home negligence, elder abuse, personal injury and product liability.
Ben handles complex medical malpractice actions, typically involving serious injury or death. Since joining Hodes Milman Ikuta, LLP, Ben has secured nine 7-figure settlements and forty-two 6-figure settlements. In total, since joining the firm in late 2016, Ben has recovered over $33,000,000 on behalf of clients. Specifically, Ben has successfully litigated and handled many birth injury cases, including cases of delay in delivery that resulted in neonatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, acidosis/acidemia, Erb’s palsy, and/or death. Ben has litigated cases in the delay in diagnosis or reporting of lymphoma, hepatocellular carcinoma, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, basal cell carcinoma, and other types of cancer. Ben has also handled cases involving allegations of elder abuse and dependent adult abuse based on neglect leading to the development of decubitus ulcers, falls, or physical and/or sexual abuse by other residents.
For the majority of his career prior to joining Hodes Milman Ikuta, LLP, Ben worked for firms that defended physicians, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, residential care facilities for the elderly in actions of medical malpractice and elder abuse. As a defense lawyer prior to joining Hodes Milman Ikuta, LLP, Ben routinely secured judgments in favor of healthcare providers and insurance companies and provided counseling and presentations on how to reduce or avoid liability.
In 2016, Ben realized that his true calling was not in defending healthcare providers and insurance companies, but rather to work for those injured by wrongdoing. Ben’s extensive experience with defense firms provides him a unique perspective in relation to the tactics and strategies implemented by insurance companies, corporations, and defense attorneys. This experience from the other side of the table allows Ben to represent plaintiffs more effectively and obtain the best possible case results.
From UCLA, Ben received his Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and his Bachelor of Arts in Economics. He earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of California, Hastings College of Law, where he served as Symposium Editor of the Hastings Law Journal. During law school, Mr. Ikuta made significant contributions to the public sector, providing research and recommendations for the Judicial Council of California and the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission.
- June 9, 2021 – $165,884 jury verdict after a two-week trial in Los Angeles County on behalf of Gloria Mikeler against Los Angeles Orthopedic Institute. Prior to the surgery, during positioning on the orthopedic table, Gloria suffered a large skin tear on her left lower leg. Prior to the jury verdict, the insurance company did not offer a single penny.
- April 7, 2021 – $5,700,000 recovered in a birth injury case against a hospital and OBGYN. Ben showed that the hospital nurses violated their own hospital policy in administering Pitocin to promote labor despite clear contraindications. When the child was born, he suffered from severe brain damage as a result of lack of oxygen.
- January 4, 2021 – $1,007,500 settlement on an Elder Abuse and Wrongful Death case against a Skilled Nursing Facility. The facility did not check the 94-year old patient’s insulin levels even once even though she was a known diabetic and bilateral amputee. The patient became severely hypoglycemic and died several days later.
- November 4, 2020 – $1,250,000 obtained on behalf of Kenneth Kaku. Mr. Kaku was 80-years old when he was struck at a crosswalk at an outdoor shopping center in Rancho Santa Margarita. Mr. Kaku suffered a subdural hematoma, which resolved, and a leg injury that became infected and required debridement.
- October 21, 2020 – $2,100,000 settlement against a fertility clinic that injected the wrong sperm in relation to an IVF procedure called Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection. Fourteen years later, in late 2018, after conducting a genetic testing history through a popular service, the parents learned that the child was not related to the father in any way.
- October 5, 2020- $2,100,000 settlement against a pediatric emergency room physician and the hospital she worked at when an infant’s late-onset group B streptococcal infection was not timely diagnosed, resulting in catastrophic brain damage.
- March 26, 2019 – $2,005,000 recovery for a 12-year old girl who was not timely diagnosed or treated for a small bowel obstruction, leading to kidney failure and abdominal compartment syndrome.
- October 23, 2019 – $500,000 unanimous jury verdict after a two-week trial in Riverside County against Parkview Community Hospital Medical Center. Ben’s client, 17-year old Valeria Fregoso, suffered a stillborn during an unplanned pregnancy after her baby’s heart rate was not properly monitored by a nurse at the hospital.
- January 29, 2018 – $1,500,000 settlement after physicians at a hospital failed to properly diagnose the patient with adrenal insufficiency as a result of a pituitary macroadenoma, resulting in an anoxic brain injury.
- December 13, 2017 – $2,499,000 obtained in a case involving a slip-and-fall case against an urgent care center where the patient was not watched despite being severely hypokalemic and hyponatremic. She hit her head when she fell, resulting in a subdural hematoma and intraparenchymal hemorrhage.
- December 5, 2017 – $3,000,000 settlement when a baby was brain damaged at a hospital after a NICU nurse failed to recognize the symptoms of a bacterial infection.
- July 25, 2017 – Ben’s clients were both cross-plaintiffs and defendants in a case where both sides claimed that they were rightful owners of an Orange County home. At trial, Ben prevailed as to every issue and full title and ownership of the home be transferred to his clients.
- January 23, 2017 – Prevailed at trial in first stage of bifurcated proceeding against a radiology group who failed to identify breast cancer in mammograms, resulting in a delay of diagnosis of 29 months. The case settled confidentially shortly thereafter.
- MICRA Magnifies Problems with the California Medical Board – Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 30, 2021
- Ruling will help to safeguard a fair arbitration process – Los Angeles Daily Journal, May 14, 2021
- Proving ostensible agency against a hospital for physician malpractice following Wicks – Consumer Attorneys of California Forum, Volume 51, Number 3, Spring 2021
- Patients Cannot Consent to Medical Malpractice: Keep Consent Forms Out of Evidence – the Gavel Magazine, Volume 24, #1, Winter 2021
- Trying your case during the COVID-19 pandemic – Advocate: Journal of Consumer Attorneys Associations for Southern California, January 2021
- Opposing the Inevitable Motion for Summary Judgment in Your Medical Malpractice Case– the Gavel Magazine, Volume 22, #2, Spring 2019
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star (reserved for top 2.5% of attorneys under the age of 40) in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
- Up-and-Coming 25 for Orange County Rising Stars in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 in Super Lawyers.
- Up-and-Coming 100 for 2019, 2020, and 2021 Southern California Rising Stars in Super Lawyers.
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40 for Civil Plaintiff in 2019 and 2020.
- Top 25 Up-And-Coming Attorneys in Orange County by Orange Coast Magazine in 2018.
- Top 100 Southern California Up-And-Coming Lawyers by Los Angeles Magazine in 2018 and 2019.
I'm a lawyer who is familiar with Ben Ikuta's tireless work ethic. Ben is a staunch advocate on behalf of abused elders. I recommend all suspected elder abuse cases to Ben Ikuta. If you suspect elder abuse, I would not hesitate to contact Ben Ikuta. I also refer all my medical malpractice cases on behalf of an injured patient to Ben, as he is a formidable attorney who is an expert in medical malpractice law.
He was both honest and direct with me, yet compassionate and empathetic to my situation. Ben kept me abreast of my case every step of the way, ensuring that I always had his support and answered all of my questions with candor and transparency. I am grateful to Ben and his team for a positive experience that ultimately led to a favorable outcome for my case. His wisdom, patience, and widely diverse knowledge about the law is second to none; I’d confidently put any of my loved ones and friends in his company, trusting that they’d be in good hands.
Ben Ikuta is a great attorney. I worked with him when his practice was primarily defense, and the same qualities that served him well then will help on the plaintiff's side. Ben is a tenacious and passionate advocate with an impressive work ethic and a near-encyclopedic knowledge of the law. I would not hesitate to recommend Ben to anyone looking to retain a lawyer.
MEET THE ATTORNEYS
When you work with us, you’ll see the difference. A lot of firms are quick to show you numbers, and it is absolutely true that your lawyer should have experience and a strong track record in the area that you require. However, we’ll take it one step further. We also believe that your attorney should put your needs, cares and desires first. Because you deserve more than just compensation for your losses - you deserve a true advocate.