Manufacturers of children’s jewelry have until December 16 to regulate their products’ cadmium content—or the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) will do it for them.
That ultimatum came from the agency in a notice in the Federal Register on September 16. The CPSC also acceded to a request from a number of consumer groups—including the Sierra Club—that cadmium be banned unless a safe level of the substance can be established. After receiving the request last year, CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum said retailers and manufacturers must act “to protect the health and safety of consumers.”
Cadmium is a toxic metal that, if ingested, can lead to liver and kidney damage. According to the groups that petitioned the CPSC, kids’ jewelry makers are increasingly using it in their products because it’s cheaper and less regulated than lead. Indeed, Dress Barn, Claire’s and McDonald’s all have recalled products recently after finding that they contained cadmium.
Has your child been harmed by a dangerous product? Contact the personal injury attorneys at Hodes Milman toll-free at (949) 640-8222, or submit the contact form on our website, hodesmilman.com. We’ve achieved million-dollar verdicts in product liability actions on behalf of our clients.
Why Contact a Defective Product Liability Attorney?
- One of the best reasons is that your consultation is free.
- You can ask specific questions and receive more accurate answers.
- Should your case be accepted, nearly all of our cases are on a contingency-fee which means you have zero out of pocket costs while our team handles the paperwork, phone calls, medical records and other costs and time-consuming elements to build your case.
- You only pay the contingency fee if we win your case! If your case is not successful, you do not owe us for any of the investigative or litigation expenses incurred, which can be substantial. These are our expenses.
- Most importantly, pursuing a product liability claim could help your family with medical costs, lost wages or other practical means of healing for you. While compensation won’t undo the injustice and suffering you’ve endured, a monetary settlement can help ease the financial burden.
You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s carelessness. At Hodes Milman, we offer more than our sincerest apologies – we offer you our assistance. There is someone who will fight for your best, and help you move on with your life – that is us!